The Meridian Director, also known as Direct DAC, is a simple way to enjoy Meridian and make all your digital music sound its best. Director is a high-quality DAC (Digital to Analogue Converter) designed to deliver superior audio quality from any digital source. Hand-made in Cambridge, England.
UPGRADE MUSIC THROUGHOUT YOUR HOME
Built in Britain to the same standards as any Meridian product, Director breathes new life into digital sources when listened to on analogue hi-fi systems.
Director forms the ideal add-on for network players and music servers with digital outputs, bringing Meridian performance and ultimate sound quality to an entirely new class of audio products and systems. These sound enhancing technologies are derived from the award-winning line of Reference 800 Series components, and significantly out-perform the DACs found in computers and most network players.
- Features S/PDIF optical and coax as well as USB inputs.
- Resolution Enhancement including upsampling with Apodising.
- 192kHz fixed-level analogue output.
- 4-layer circuit board with audiophile-grade components throughout.
- Asynchronous USB Audio Class Compliant 2.0 HS 480Mb/s for best-in-class performance.
- USB-powered: plugs into any computer with a USB port.
As with all Meridian products, our goal in developing the Director is to help you enjoy the music you love with the very highest quality playback, without compromise, using innovative engineering and technology.
Plug-and-play operation with Mac computers; a driver is required for Windows (XP or later): this is the same driver used for the Explorer DAC. In USB mode, Director uses asynchronous transfer for the best sound quality.
Director supports sample rates up to 24-bit, 192kHz and incorporates Meridian Resolution Enhancement technologies, including Meridian Upsampling and the Apodising filter, improving audio quality. The proprietary Apodising filter results in a purer sound, and can also clean up some recording faults, particularly in earlier digital recordings. Standard sample rate signals (16–24 bit, 44.1/48kHz) are automatically upsampled to 24- bit 88.2/96kHz. Separate precision reference oscillators are included for sample rates based on 44.1 kHz and on 48 kHz, minimising jitter. The DAC itself offers extremely low modulation noise and distortion, and incorporates the highest quality components throughout, including audiophile grade capacitors, resistors and gold-plated phono sockets.
Meridian Apodising Filter
Filters are critical in digital audio. Commonly they introduce distortion and harshness because of "pre-ringing". Early digital recordings suffer from harshness too, due to primitive filters. After painstaking research, Meridian developed a special filter that avoids pre-ringing, so it can be steeper, cleaning up the effects of early filters. The result: a better, cleaner sound from recordings old and new.
- An all-metal elliptical case, Director echoes design elements immediately identifying it as a Meridian product. Each side has molded end caps that provide connections as well as source choice and resolution.
- Director is designed to connect to any analogue hi-fi or audio system with its own volume control, and is particularly appropriate for installation environments. It is bit-precise for the ultimate in sound quality and delivers the lowest possible distortion and modulation noise, with predictable quality. Director is handmade in the UK with the same precision and craftsmanship as every Meridian product.
- Simply connect your PC or digital component and upgrade to Meridian sound
- Power over USB connection, either from PC or from supplied power supply
- Push button source selection for simple operation
- High quality RCA analogue connectors for secure connection to system
- LEDs indicate source sample rate
- 1 x USB2 B socket for computer playback (24-bit, ≤192kHz) 1 x 3.5mm socket offering S/PDIF coax (3.5mm mono connector, (24-bit, ≤192kHz) or S/PDIF Optical (3.5mm Mini-TOSLINK, 24-bit ≤96kHz)
- 1 x analogue stereo pair (gold- plated phono), 2v RMS fixed
- Extruded Aluminium shell with moulded plastic endcaps and rubber foot.
- 5v <500mA DC via USB interface
CONTROLS & INDICATORS
- 3 x Sample rate LEDs: 44.1/48, 88.2/96, 176.4/192 kHz sampling 2 x Input selection LEDs. Input selected with input pushbutton: S/PDIF, USB. Optical/coax digital selected automatically.
- USB audio class compliant 2.0 HS 480Mb/s bandwidth. Asynchronous: device is the clock source for high quality. Firmware upgrade via USB. Windows drivers provided, no drivers required for Macintosh OS X or Linux.
- Macintosh OS X 10.6.4 or later, Windows XP SP3, Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8
- 80mm x 139mm x 34mm (WxDxH)
Noisy Motel is an authorised Australian distributor for the Meridian Personal Audio Products. All Meridian Audio products include full Australian warranty.