The Meridian Prime headphone amplifier is designed and built in the UK and delivers lifelike performance from any headphone and is designed to appeal to audio enthusiasts who seek the highest possible performance. The Prime is MQA-ready!
The Meridian Prime Headphone Amplifier delivers a lifelike performance from any headphone and is designed to appeal to audio enthusiasts who seek the highest possible performance from conventional analogue audio sources.
With three inputs, one dedicated and optimised to USB sources for computer audio, discrete pure analogue inputs on RCA for traditional sources, and a 3.5mm connection for portable devices such as a smart phone, while Analogue Spatial Processing (ASP) offers “outside the head” listening through headphones.
The Prime features Meridian resolution-enhancement technology including low-jitter clocking, upsampling, apodising and full support for MQA.
- Analogue Spatial Processing (ASP) allows for complete immersion, blending the left and right channels to help you forget that you’re wearing headphones
- Digital and analogue inputs - Input either computer audio sources via USB or analogue sources such as your phone, tablet or Hi-Fi
- Meridian’s unique Apodising filter fixes errors in digital recordings, making any music sound more alive, regardless of its source.
- Double skinned, bead blasted metal chassis construction echoes that of Meridian’s full size components. This ensures that noise is kept away from critical audio components for lifelike details that are critical for headphone listening.
With its extensive Research and Development programme Meridian has pioneered the development of a host of innovative audio technologies many of which feature in today’s Meridian products.
Meridian Apodising Filter
Filters are critical in digital audio. Commonly they introduce distortion and harshness because of "pre-ringing". Early digital recordings suffer from harshness too, due to primitive filters. After painstaking research, Meridian developed a special filter that avoids pre-ringing, so it can be steeper, cleaning up the effects of early filters. The result: a better, cleaner sound from recordings old and new.
Master Quality Authenticated (MQA)
MQA is a technology that captures the full magic of an original studio performance. Using pioneering scientific research into how people hear, MQA delivers master quality audio in a file that’s small enough to stream or download – the days of sacrificing quality for convenience are over.
Find out more on MQA (External Link)
- Despite its diminutive size, Meridian Prime echoes the design elements of any other Meridian product, including a double skinned, bead blasted metal chassis found on Meridian’s full size components. This ensures that noise is kept away from critical audio components for lifelike details that are critical for headphone listening.
- The Meridian Prime Headphone Amplifier can be powered by the wall- mounted supply provided, or by the similarly sized, and styled, Meridian Prime Power Supply for even higher audio quality. The use of an external power supply means that AC noise is kept well away from the pure analogue stages of the Headphone Amplifier.
- 1x stereo line input (2x gold-plated RCA phonos)
- 1x stereo line input (3.5mm jack socket)
- 1x USB input (mini-B USB connector)
- 1x stereo line output (2x gold-plated RCA phonos)
- 2x 1/4in TRS A-type jack sockets (tip=left)
- 1x 3.5mm stereo jack socket (tip=left)
- Relay-controlled power up/down muting on all outputs
- 192kHz/24-bit sampling Meridian Resolution Enhancement technologies including upsampling and Apodising
- Interface-powered: disconnecting USB powers-down all digital subsystems
ANALOGUE SPACIAL PROCESSING
- Audio processing circuits provide "outside the head" headphone listening resembling listening on loudspeakers
- Two different modes plus bypass
- Analogue switching
- Short audio path
- Alps analogue volume potentiometer with flexible shaft coupling from the front panel controls all outputs
- Input selector button: push to select between line level, 3.5mm jack and USB
- Analogue Signal Processing selector: i, ii or Bypass
- 1x, 2x, 4x digital sample rate indicators
- A/B/Bypass Analogue Signal Processing indicators
- RCA/mini-jack/USB input selector indicators
- Power button illuminates blue in standby,
white with all outputs active, green when preamp output disabled (hold button down to toggle)
- Plug-in PSU provided; may also be powered by Prime Power Supply for superior performance
- Silver metal finish uniform with G Series
- Width: 160mm (6.3in); Depth: 150mm (5.9in) plus connectors; Height: 50mm (2.0in)
* Micro-USB Cable not included
Noisy Motel is an authorised Australian distributor for the Meridian Personal Audio Products. All Meridian Audio products include full Australian warranty.
MQA Firmware Update (External Link)